December 6, 2013
Download source and assets: Source, Assets.Project took 3 weeks to develop.
The assignment was to make either a platformer, shoot-em-up or survival game, in windows forms. It had to have graphics and be written in c# with object oriented programming in mind. Our group had a lot of great ideas, however we lacked people to execute on them. I ended up programming pretty much the entire thing, which has its ups and downs. On the upside I got to program a lot of features I have not worked with before, like pathfinding or lighting (masked and without collisions, but it worked).
Unfortunately we did not have the time to finish the game or finish enough of it to be ‘playable’. We have made multiple levels but there is no way to change the level. The AI is very barebones (to make the enemy follow you press space) and pathfinding is glitchy.
Oh and on an extra note/goodie: I figured out a great way to switch between the frames of a sprite sheet when animating a top down character that can move in 8-directions.
Each direction that takes one key to get to (like up down left and right) has a prime number to identify with, each diagonal direction is then a multiplication between the to keys being pressed, example:
You want to go down left, so you press down and left. A variable currently set to 1 gets multiplied with 3 for down and 5 for left, making it 15, which is the identity of the 5th row in the sprite sheet “down left”.
I thought it was quite genius as I did not have to check if multiple buttons were pressed at the same time. The system is also quite extensive. If you wanted to add a jump to the character, and it had to work with all directions, you would just have to give jumping a new prime number (in this case 11) and there would still not be any conflicts.
Tags: Atmospheric, Horror, School, Stealth, Survival, Unfinished, WWII